Who We Are
Zion and Holden Lutheran churches are two congregations located in Aitkin County, Minnesota. Joined in a parish arrangement, we share a pastor and cooperate in our worship life, ministry of service, and stewardship. We are affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and are a part of the Northeastern Minnesota Synod, which is comprised of 138 congregations.
Holden, the older congregation, was formed in the homes of Norwegian settlers back in 1895. They erected a church about 9 miles northeast of the town of Isle. In the summer of 2003, the church burned. It was over 100 years old. But, instead of deciding to disband, the congregation voted to build a new church and it was completed in August 2004.
Zion Lutheran Church was started in 1905 as the village of McGrath located along the railroad line was expanding with the lumber industry. A few families who met for worship extended a call to Rev. Ole Olson Rem, who was the pastor of Holden at that time. He accepted the call and since then the churches have been together.
Zion-Holden Lutheran Parish Today
Zion and Holden have partnered for over 100 years to form the Zion-Holden Lutheran Parish. Like the world around us, much has changed over the years but we remain faithful in our calling to love and serve God and our neighbor. We welcome visitors to join us in worship, to hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and become a part of our shared story of faith.